Sunday 23 November 2014

A Feminine Indigo Haul



Last week was the Indigo Friends and Family Sale and it was the perfect excuse to start on my Christmas shopping and get myself some treats for a very successful semester. Also there was a bit of theme running through my purchases: pink and feminine.



Anatomicals - There Won't Be A Dry Thigh In The House
What prompted this order was my mother's Christmas present. In the summer I spotted a lilac body lotion by Anatomicals and I knew she would love it. Lilacs are both my mother's favourite flowers and favourite scents and her garden is full of them in the summer time, but deprived of them in the bitter Canadian winter. This was only available online and I thought why not do it during the Friends and Family Sale...

Emma - Jane Austen
I remember last year doing a Buzzfeed quiz with my housemates on "Which Jane Austen Heroine Are You?" and I got Emma. My housemate at the time, Emma said she really liked that novel but my friend Katie said she was kind of a horrible person. Since then I've been intrigued to find out what Emma really says about me and if she really is a horrible person. Recently I was watching one of Sanne's videos (I believe) and she had one of the most beautiful editions of Jane Austen I'd ever seen so I made it a mission to track down one of those editions with Indigo. A beautiful cover is always a good excuse to buy books. From what I was told this book is about a woman Emma, whom I'm assuming is living in the English countryside, and fancies herself a matchmaker for her friends but her friends would rather she kept her nose out of their love life. I can only assume that her matchmaking creates a lot of conflict. If you've ever been hesitant to read classical literature and somehow never managed to read Pride and Prejudice in english class, then Austen is a great place to start. The language is elegant but not nearly as tedious as most of the other writers of her time.

Eat Pretty: Nutrition For Beauty, Inside and Out - Jolene Hart
I first saw this book on Estee's blog and have since then seen it pop up in other places. I love how pretty this book is and thought it complimented the Emma cover quite nicely with the feminine, floral cover. This book is also beautiful, inside and out (k bad joke but pages are glossy and the recipes pink). While I love fitness and running, I've never ventured into the world of healthy eating aside from protein shakes I used to make with my housemate. I'm a very picky eater and I've always been intimidated by the ingredients and prices of healthy eating. This book seems to break down eating for each of the seasons, what types of vitamins and minerals you need, their benefits, and where to find them.

The Winner's Curse - Marie Rotkoski
This is the book I'm most unsure of. It was a very recent addition to my wishlist, but I had decided upon a theme for this purchase and it seemed to fit perfectly. I saw this book once when browsing booktube and then somewhere else came across a comment saying that this book was going to be a big deal. I've never been a fan of YA fiction. I loved reading as a kid and have since then loved reading adult fiction but I remember as a teen having a hard time finding books to read and as a result I didn't do much reading in high school aside from english class (and don't get me started on Lord of the Flies). From what I know this takes place in a colonial period but its a low-fantasy and doesn't take place in this world. I want to go into this book open-minded but (despite how beautiful the hardcover is) I've never felt a real connection with the heroines of YA fiction.

xx jenn

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

  1. These book covers are magical. I am totally judging a book by its cover & would purchase it for it. :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I see it is that once you've finished reading a book it becomes a decoration on your bookcase, so it has to be beautiful. If the cover doesn't blow my mind, I'll save my money and get the ebook instead.

      Delete