Thursday 27 November 2014

Matte, Matter, Mattest



While I'm now starting to explore foundations with lighter, more dewy consistencies, every time I apply a matte foundation, I remember that nothing blurs imperfections better. While my skin has improved leaps and bounds from high school where I had very oily, acne prone skin, I still look at my skin in the same way, analyzing every small bump and as much as I love my freckles (ok so the only time I've ever said I loved my freckles was when someone without freckles said they loved my freckles), I've always felt they've contributed to way I've perceived how imperfect my skin looks. Matte foundation can be exactly the veil I need when I don't want the world to see my real skin, however, given my skin's transformation (it's now pretty normal), I don't use matte foundations on a daily basis.



As far as the bunch go, this has the most "everyday" usage. This foundation is a very light consistency and without a pump, it makes getting the right amount of product very difficult. Now I'm going to resist every urge to rant about why we can't have the European packaging here in Canada. I like to use a very small amount of this foundation, about the amount of  pinkie nail, and buff it in with a flat topped buffing brush. This foundation provides the right about of matte to keep your foundation staying put (for normal/dry skins) and without clinging to any winter dry patches. I feel like this product is currently receiving quite a lot of hype so, without going on about it, I'll say this is the matte foundation for someone without oily skin who wants the matte look to blur imperfections. 

This foundation I've had for about 3 and a half years. It is my summer foundation, mostly because it was matched to my skin after working a week at summer camp and also because it is the lightest coverage, Powder foundation blurs imperfections better (in my opinion) than liquid foundation and without looking as cake-y as cream foundation, however it doesn't provide the same coverage.   When I use this foundation I use a thick paste type concealer like the MAC Studio Finish as the first step and then apply the foundation. This foundation is great for the summer because it prevents that summer shine (aka sweat) and is a breathable consistency.

This foundation is the thickest, being a cream foundation, and the most matte. It's targeted specifically for oily and acne prone skin and is meant to improve your skin's condition in the short term and long term. My first issue with this foundation is that I have one of the lightest shades (pearl), which I bought at the end of the summer and believe me I will not make that mistake again, and I cannot wear it if I haven't been tanning. On the other hand, if you have oily skin then this might be a great summer pick. It covers redness well and after blended in it looks flawless (in an 'I'm wearing lots of makeup' way). The coverage is very high so it doesn't work well for a no-makeup makeup look. My preferred way to apply this (because it's so thick) is to use a flat foundation brush to distribute it over make face and small brush strokes to blend it, then quickly before it sets, buff it in  using a buffing brush for a flawless finish. I bought this foundation after my acne was starting to return and I thought it might help but really this foundation is only for people with oily skin and is not way suitable for normal/dry types as it is thick and clings to dry patches like nothing else. This foundation I actually recently finished and I wore it all summer mixed with a lighter dewy foundation for the perfect colour and consistency.

If you're looking for a new matte foundation, I hope this comparison is helpful.
xx jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment