Sunday 14 December 2014

Healing Blemish Scabs


While I definitely suffered from hormonal acne as a teenager (something that has been managed with medication since I was 17), I suffer from something of a ghost limb when it comes to my past skin condition. I do still get the occasional spot and have blackheads and whiteheads on my nose and chin as well as milia around my eye areas. The problem is that rather than leave these spots (so minuscule that I only notice them when I press my face into the mirror), I pick them as if I was still a teenager covered in spots. Nowadays, this is instigated by stress, something to which my friends all say "Oh yeah, I'm always unconsciously picking at them while studying." What I do is take a study break to stand in front of the mirror and very consciously take my stress out on my face. This happened very recently prior to my exams, the last night I was visiting my parents and I had to spend the entire next day in downtown Toronto covered in makeup (but still not enough to cover the "milia spot" I shouldn't have picked because you can't!) feeling self-conscious. If you are a picker like me, here are some of my tips to heal the scabs left from picking blemishes.



1. STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE!
This one seems obvious and for a picker it's something easier said than done. Try to keep your hands busy during the day, wear gloves, do anything to stop touching your face and make things any worse. I had the idea to take a photo (almost) every morning to record the healing process. I knew if I continued to pick I wouldn't be able to make the date I had planned for this post and I also wouldn't have any recorded change in my photos.

2. Switch up your skincare
For anyone who gets spots, I'm sure we all have a stash of acne targeted products for just this occasion. I switched to salicylic acid cleansers, moisturizers and treatments. Avoid physical scrubs but aim for something with acidic exfoliation like my newly purchased Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner (35 CAD). I also alternated my night cream with something that was soothing, for sensitive skin, to add some balance to my new harsh routine.

3. Go Makeup-less
The total healing process for me took about a week and a half. When it comes to healing there isn't too much you can do beyond using products to promote healing. However, going without makeup will help. I know Caroline Hirrons would cringe if she read this but letting your skin "breathe" by not wearing face makeup will help. For people with sensitive skin or prone to break-outs face makeup can aggravate your skin so by going fresh-faced you can let your skincare do its job. Lucky for me, this happened during exams so I wasn't spending much time outside anyway.

Do you have any tips to stop picking and/or healing your skin afterwards?

xx jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment