Tuesday 20 January 2015

Present You vs. Future You

It may surprise you to know that I didn't need to style this photo. In fact everything cluttering my desk is only for one course. I'm not even a messy person but sometimes the work piles up a little to high. This pile also lead to a revelation this weekend that I need to really consider what makes me happy in the short term and what makes me happy in the long run.


Ever since I started university I've been completely fixated on the future. Every time I went shopping I was concerned about whether I could wear "this" to an internship or in an office. I had my whole future planned out: where I was going to work, where I was going to live and everything else. Things have changed drastically. I still know the direction I want to head in but I've realized that the path is going to be very foggy. Internships were not a dime a dozen (and they tend to rehire persons each summer) and now full-time jobs are going to be difficult to find. Since then I've realized I need to take everything one day at a time.

Since I began interviewing for jobs in October I had been announcing to everyone that I would be writing my third exam with the Society of Actuaries in March. Since then I've encountered a stressful introduction to 2015. I've have two breakouts on my chin (at least I'm crossing my finger it's not caused by my new skincare) and I've found myself rushing through my work to get it "done" rather than to "learn" it.

Making the decision to postpone my exam until the summer was difficult to make. I am very determined when it comes to writing my exams and jump-starting my career, but I also recognize the importance of enjoying the last semester I have as a care-free student and to focus on the marks of my final semester (I mean I got straight A's in the fall!). Sometimes focusing on the present is important, while it's still possible, and to have time to exercise and socialize and study for my classes. Teaching myself an entire course in the span of 1.5 months is stressful as if, never mind taking 5 courses at university.

Who knows where I'll find myself after graduation: working as a consultant or a cashier, but for know I will focus on seminars and Downton marathons with friends.
xx jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment