Tuesday 27 January 2015

Skate Canada Nationals 2015

One of my new year's resolutions was to spend more time watching figure skating. While I complained and complained about CBC's coverage, what better way to make sure I don't miss any of the action by going to one of events myself. The first time I ever visited Kingston, Skate Canada International, a Grand Prix event, was being held and I got to see one of favourite skaters Javier Fernandez live (this is of course prior to him being a regular medalist). This year Kingston was hosting Canadian Nationals and I thought what a better way to end my time in Kingston by going to see it.


I purchased a $30 obstructed view ticket which was really a front row seat where I couldn't see the judging table. I was absolutely blown away with my bargain. My tickets were for the Senior Pairs and Dance Free Programs which is where I've found Canada has been most strong the past couple seasons. It was a great experience being so close to the skaters and my only complaint was that I could not bring my camera as DSLRs were not permitted. However, I did manage to get this photo during the medal ceremony on the phone...

(medalists in SR Dance)

Alexandra Paul (second from the right) had the most beautiful, minimalist dress which felt very refreshing in figure skating, although this photo doesn't do it justice. Overall I was really impressed with all the skater's costumes with the exception of Kristen Moore-Towers who had a rather gaudy playing card dress (complete with bejeweled diamonds, hearts, spades and clubs). I also had the experience of witnessing a new Canadian record in pairs skating set by Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford.

I had an amazing night indulging in one of my favourite hobbies and unsurprisingly could not sleep at all after the excitement of 4.5 hours in the front row. I'm glad I made this a priority and a new year's resolution and I can't wait until World's!

Additionally if anyone is looking to start watching skating or find some streams I came across a really helpful tumblr: http://soyouwanttowatchfigureskating.tumblr.com/
xx jenn 

No comments:

Post a Comment