Thursday 29 January 2015

Salted White-Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

As of last exam period I have had the most intense craving for white chocolate.  And, I'm not afraid to admit that on Monday night after working on a STATA assignment, I came home, crawled into bed and ate an entire Lindt white chocolate bar. #NoRegrets If you too love white chocolate then these cookies are a great option. However, as with all recipes I write (when they don't turn out perfectly) I will give you my critiques, so please read the entire post before you start baking and if you make any alterations, please let me know how it turned out!



Recipe is adapted from Honestly Yumm (blog) and makes about 24 cookies.
Ingredients:
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
-3/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 cup softened butter (1/4 of this melted)
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-3/4 cup sugar
-1 egg
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1 cup rolled oats
-1 cup white chocolate chips
-(flake) sea salt for sprinkling on top

Directions:
Preheat oven for 375 F.

In a medium bowl mix flour, baking soda and powder, and salt.

In a larger bowl cream butter and sugar until light in colour and fluffy in texture. Add egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.

Add dry ingredients until incorporated and follow with oats and chocolate.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper and roll cookies into 2" diameter balls.

Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges turn a golden brown.

Now here come my critiques. Firstly, I over-baked mine (my own fault). While I found the bottoms cooked quickly, I found the tops stayed a pale shade and didn't expand the way I expected (considering the rising agents). There is a good chance that this was because my baking soda and powder are a little old but I've never found that to be a serious problem. Be aware that at the 12 minute mark they will still be soft but this doesn't mean they aren't going to harden as they cool.

Additionally I found they weren't particularly oat-ey. Given that they weren't a huge success, I'm thinking of finding a tried and tested oatmeal cookie and just supplementing ingredients. This recipe seemed like a lot of ingredients for what should have been a simple oatmeal cookie.

My advice if you were to replicate them is to add more oats and stick to the baking time (exceptions if your oven generally takes longer to bake things). Additionally I think flake sea salt would be slightly less strong compared to the coarse grain I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment