Sunday 1 February 2015

Empties #1

This summer I decided I was going to stop buying skincare every time I decide that my skin needs something different. Consequently, all my skincare is beginning to run out at the same time. Before xmas, my toner ran out and I promptly bought the Keihl's Ultra Facial Toner and since my new skincare additions, my skin has feeling amazing. So stay tuned to lots of empties and hauls in the weeks to come.



Ren Mayblossim T-zone Control Cleansing Gel - 34.00 CAD
This was my first foray into luxury skincare and I was so smitten with it. I bought this before I started my third year and haven't used it on a daily basis because it was so expensive and I wanted it to last. Therefore, I've mostly been using it when my skin starts to act up, mostly around that time of the month or when I have a stress breakout. The smell of this is divine and while it isn't foaming it has just the right amount of lather to make it perfect when paired with a Clarisonic, It also made my skin feel clarified without it feeling tight like some gel cleansers targeted at blemish-prone skin. And the reason I used blemish-prone skin rather than acne is that Ren have two ranges targeted at blemishes. This is the more mild T-zone type oiliness and blemishes with their Clay line being a stronger treatment for acne-type skin. Therefore its a great product for those who want something for treating blemishes without the risk of over drying your skin. These are all reasons I loved the product and the is of course the appeal of luxury skincare. However, it is a lot to justify for a cleanser, the skincare product on your skin for the least amount of time, so I don't see myself repurchasing this product in the near future. Instead I am planning on a La-Roche Posay cleanser which I'm hoping will be gentle while still purifying. Do you have any recommendation for a product similar to this at a lower price-point?

Neutrogena Naturals Fresh Cleansing + Makeup Remover
Around the time last year when I decided that I shouldn't use my Ren cleanser everyday, I started looking at finding natural-type products to use as well. I bought this as a night-time cleanser to use after Bioderma to make sure my face was clean and makeup free. Its a nice product, it neither harmed my skin nor made it better than it was before. The cleanser reminds me of a creamy hand soap and isn't drying, however as a makeup remover I felt it left my eyes sore and puffy after scrubbing at my mascara. I've just recently replaced this with the Lush Ultrabland balm cleanser and already I feel it is lightyears ahead of the Neutrogena in makeup removing and leaving my skin feeling calmed and moisturized. Once I've had adequate time to trial it, I will be posting my review.

Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Night Cream 
Another drugstore purchase, but this one I loved. I didn't get too much use out of it this winter, but I used it quite a bit last winter. It has an instant cooling and soothing sensation on the skin and if you live anywhere with a winter comparable (or worse) to southern Canada this product is a lifesaver for red, dry, weather irritated skin. This product is quite heavy though so if your skin isn't too dry I would suggest perhaps trying the day cream version. This gets a big thumbs up from me and I will probably repurchase it next winter as a winter night cream. On that note are there any recommendations for a summer night cream with a similar feeling without feeling too heavy? I'm thinking something from the Korres Yogurt line.

xx jenn



No comments:

Post a Comment