Sunday 22 February 2015

2015 Oscar Predictions

While the Oscars are on tonight, I will be on a bus, heading back from Reading Week, in what I'm hoping won't be be too snowy conditions. But, even though I won't be able to watch them until tomorrow, that didn't stop me from trying to watch all the Oscar movies I could, to make my predictions.


Best Picture
This is a tough one because I'm not sure any of these films really were the obvious blockbuster-y, best film type. Boyhood stands out because of the concept (being nearly 3 hours and filmed over 12 years) and while I loved the film, there was something too real about it rather than the sort of artsy elegance that are traditionally Oscar movies. Also I can't help but feel that some of what I really enjoyed in the film were just nostalgic moments that I remember from my childhood. My other choices would be Selma and The Theory of Everything which both had amazing acting and were very moving films that I felt very emotionally attached to by the end.

Best Actor
Eddie Redmayne, a no-brainer for me. He was amazing not just in how he could mimic Hawking but also in how he made the character lovable, rather than just pitiful. So I think I'm getting really bad at explaining my thoughts on acting but from seeing this movie and the physically demanding role he had, it really sets itself apart from the rest of the actors.

Best Actress
Another difficult one and how bizarre is it that only one of the actresses here is nominated from a film also nominated for best picture?! While I didn't get a chance to watch Still Alice (so I can't give my opinions there) I really enjoyed Reese Witherspoon in Wild because it felt like a really departure from what I'm used to seeing her in as well as her portraying Strayed in the highs and lows of her life. Nods to Felicity Jones as well.

Best Director
I know little to nothing about what makes a director good or not good but perhaps the strengths that Boyhood had are better reflected in this category(12 years, that vision!). Additionally I'm a big Wes Anderson fan, but I'm not sure that's reason enough for him to win.

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida was the only film I watched from this category, but given that it has multiple nominations, I think it's safe to say it will probably win and I did enjoy it despite its melancholy-ness, something I didn't enjoy with a lot of the other films *cough* Foxcatcher *cough*.

Best Supporting Actor
I want to say Ed Norton because his acting was amazing and the way his role moved the film and the plot was I think unique perhaps to the other actors. Additionally none of the other roles stood out to me in terms of being Oscar-worthy, although J.K. Simmons was great as well in Whiplash, a film which I loved but I'm not sure how it fits in the Oscars.

Best Supporting Actress
I kind of really love Laura Dern in Wild and while she was only featured in flashbacks, she was amazing and you felt so attached to her emotionally, despite how you could see she wasn't the most capable mother. Patricia Arquette was also good.

In short, the film I enjoyed most were Boyhood, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash, Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma, Wild, Two Days, One Night, and Insterstellar.

What are your picks for the Oscars?
xx jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment