Tuesday 10 February 2015

Snacking Healthier with Four925

Last week, on the day of the snowstorm, I just could not shake the craving of something salty. Thankfully by the late afternoon the snow stopped blowing and I decided to go to my last class of the day. On the way home I stopped at my favourite convenience store which caters to the student demographic, carrying more organic, fair trade and healthy options for snacks as well as groceries. After getting my maple bacon Kettle Chips (not the healthiest choice) home, I devoured them while watching Downton Abbey and proceeded to feel disgustingly boated, all night long. Usually when I go grocery shopping I will buy a chocolate bar and for my daily snack, break off one row and have that. It sometimes works when I'm at school all day or running around being busy, but when I'm at home sat in front my laptop, I neeeeed something to keep my hands busy. I realized that night that I wanted to change how I snacked.


I was browsing Greatist.com, one of my favourite sites for when I need some healthy inspiration (be it food, fitness or happiness), and began browsing a list they had complied of snack subscription services, which were not exactly available in Canada but it got me thinking.

I then started browsing for Canadian companies who offered the same services. Four925 was the most affordable and came with the most variety compared to all the other brands. Four925 is slightly different in that rather than it being a surprise, you can choose from pre-made boxes or create your own. I chose to create my own "The New Vending Machine"36.99 CAD before taxes and shipping. You first choose your flavour preferences and then choose which products you'd like to select based on categories e.g. you can choose two trail mixes and 3 granola bars etc. What I love about this option is it has all the same brands and products I would find at my favourite convenience store but they are portioned. For example the chips come in bags the size you would get out of a vending machine, so I can enjoy those Kettle Chips with portion control. Additionally it forces you to choose a variety of snacks. You still get chips and chocolate (although healthier options) but you also have to pick trail mix, nuts, fruit and nut bars etc.

My concerns are where to put all the food. Right now its in my room and it is waaay too tempting. I want these snacks to last me the month and so I do not want to eat them all at once. Also I  want to make more of an effort to keep myself occupied and busy, so I'm never sitting down and just thinking about having a snack. To help with this, I've been keeping a bowl of grapes in my room, so when I need something to do with my hands, I can eat grapes rather than "snacks".

When I have finished the box, I will be posting a full review and whether I consider the portioning worth it. As well as you can expect an update on trying to eat healthier meals and be more active (which is a challenge when you live in a country buried under snow).

Wish me luck!
xx jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment